GPS tracking technology has made leaps and bounds over the past 20 years. GPS tracking systems continue to get smaller, more reliable, and more precise in their location services, and the cost of tracking devices has also been dropping dramatically. Choosing the right GPS tracker, though, can be quite a challenge with so many options on the market today. In this post, we’ll explore some of the top uses for GPS trackers and then our best GPS trackers for personal use.
Uses for GPS trackers
Why buy a GPS tracker? There are a wide variety of reasons for purchasing a GPS tracker. Here are some of the most common reasons:
- Tracking your spouse’s or kid’s locations. If you are a worrying parent or spouse, GPS trackers for your spouse or kids can help alleviate this stress. Simply knowing where someone is at any given time can give you peace of mind knowing that everything is alright.
- Preventing theft. Having your valuable property stolen—whether a vehicle, lawnmower, or boat—can be a horrible experience that takes up lots of time, causes lots of personal stress, and can result in extreme financial loss. Much of this stress and loss can be prevented by simply putting a GPS tracker on your property, which allows law enforcement to quickly locate and recover your property.
- Safe driving monitoring. Many GPS trackers for kids and teenagers now have safe driving alerts that can report if the vehicle they are driving is speeding. For parents, this is a great way to ensure their kids are acting responsibly as they venture out into the world of driving.
- Locating pets. Pets (particularly dogs) often have the bad habit of wandering far from home. A GPS tracker can help you find them easily if they accidentally wander too far.
5 of the Best GPS Trackers
Buying a GPS tracker is like buying a couch or phone—one size does not fit all. Each GPS tracker is designed for particular applications and has pros and cons. Here is our list of the best GPS trackers for various uses to help make your shopping experience easier.
1. LandAirSea 54 GPS Tracker (Best Covert GPS Tracker)
The LandAirSea 54 GPS Tracker is a discreet GPS tracker that can easily attach to the bottom of a vehicle frame or metal surface. It offers a wide range of useful features, such as arrival and departure notifications, speed alerts, and location boundary alerts for when a vehicle exits a particular area. The LandAirSea 54 GPS Tracker is also accurate to within 6 feet, offers historical reporting and data, and has both iOS and Android apps.
2. Tracki 2021 Model Mini Real time GPS Tracker (Best Budget GPS Tracker)
The Tracki 2021 Model Mini Real-time GPS Tracker packs a lot of punch in a small space at a small price tag. Coming in at under $20, this device is only slightly larger than a quarter and weighs just over 1.25 oz. It easily attaches via magnet to metal surfaces or easily slides into your baggage, a purse, or backpack. It also offers useful SOS features and an easy-to-use mobile app. This device is well-suited for shorter-term uses, as it provides 2.5 days of battery life.
3. Vyncs 4G LTE GPS Tracker (Best GPS Tracker for Vehicles)
The Vyncs 4G LTE GPS Tracker is a more robust GPS tracker for vehicles. It offers a wide variety of features for commercial uses (e.g. fleets), but it also has applications for large families with lots of kids driving a single vehicle. One of its most robust features is its ability to independently track multiple drivers for the same vehicle. It also has the huge pro of unlimited battery life, as it is powered by your vehicle’s on-board diagnostics port. This means that anytime your vehicle is active the device is charging and active. It also offers robust vehicle tracking features, vehicle health alerts, tamper alerts, and more!
4. Spytec GPS GL300 GPS Tracker (Best All-Around GPS Tracker for Personal Use)
The Spytec GPS GL300 GPS Tracker is an all-around top-performing GPS tracker for personal use. It offers solid battery life averaging nearly 2.5 weeks. It is fast, offers reliable GPS service, and is compact at only 2 inches in size. The device provides a rich feature set and easy-to-use apps for both iOS and Android. It also has a variety of tracking and monitoring plans based on your particular application. It is also one of the most highly reviewed GPS trackers on Amazon in its category. And at only $40, it comes in at a fair price!
5. Garmin TT 15 GPS Dog Tracker Collar (Best GPS Tracker for Dogs)
The Garmin TT 15 GPS Dog Tracker Collar is a rugged dog tracking collar that can help you easily find your furry friends that wander far from home. GPS trackers for pets vary greatly from their human alternatives, as they must hold up to an entirely different use case with heavy wear, tear, and moisture potential. Garmin is one of the most well-known names in the GPS space due to their reputation for highly reliable, top quality GPS trackers. They are not the cheapest devices, but you are buying high quality engineering and rugged reliability. The Garmin TT 15 GPS Dog Tracker Collar is no exception!
We do not advise that private investigators use these tools as part of their surveillance strategies. However, these tools can be a great source of information if your clients already have them installed and you receive the proper permissions to access this information. Whenever you are conducting surveillance activities, it is important that you act ethically and abide by all local laws. To learn more on this topic, we recommend checking out our Ethics Course.