As a licensed private detective in Illinois, you have the option to work independently or for an investigation company, each option presenting unique opportunities and types of casework. To get you started on your journey, we’ll explore some of the popular career paths for investigators and share a list of the top PI companies to work for in Illinois.
Working for a company can often provide a more consistent flow of work and a broader variety of cases. In Illinois, there are several esteemed investigation companies to consider.
Types of Private Investigator Work in Illinois
There are numerous career options for a PI, and the nature of your work will often hinge on your skillset and training, which you can expand through continuous learning.
Here are some common types of private detective work:
- Infidelity Cases: Private investigators working on infidelity cases help clients gather evidence of unfaithful behavior from their partners, which can be crucial in divorce proceedings.
- Corporate Investigation: This type of investigation typically involves looking into fraudulent activities within a business, such as embezzlement or other white-collar crimes.
- Background Investigation: Here, private investigators conduct thorough checks into a person's history, including criminal records, employment history, education, and other personal details, often for pre-employment screenings or legal proceedings.
- Fraud Cases: In fraud investigations, private investigators are tasked with gathering evidence to prove deceptive activities that may involve identity theft, insurance fraud, or financial fraud.
- Criminal Defense: Private investigators working on criminal defense cases help attorneys by finding evidence or witnesses that can support their client's defense in court. Learn more: What is a Criminal Defense Investigator and How to Become One
- Missing Persons: In these cases, private investigators use their skills to locate missing individuals, often working closely with law enforcement and families to find the person in question.
- Workers Compensation Cases: Private investigators in this role investigate the legitimacy of workers' compensation claims to ensure there are no fraudulent activities involved.
- Insurance Fraud Cases: Here, private investigators work to uncover evidence of fraudulent activities related to insurance claims, helping insurance companies avoid unjust payouts.
- Accident Investigation: In accident investigations, private investigators analyze the circumstances surrounding accidents, such as traffic collisions or workplace incidents, to determine liability or cause.
- Wrongful or Suspicious Death: When a death appears suspicious or is deemed wrongful, private investigators work to gather evidence and information that could reveal the circumstances and potentially responsible parties.
- Private Investigation for Attorneys: Private investigators in this role support attorneys by gathering evidence, conducting surveillance, locating witnesses, and performing other investigative tasks relevant to a variety of legal cases. Learn more: Tips for Testifying In Court
Learn more: 35 Types of Private Investigators
How Much Do PIs Make in Illinois
As a private investigator in Illinois, the average compensation is approximately $23 per hour. However, certain areas like Chicago may offer higher pay rates, and the type of cases you handle can also impact your earnings.
Learn more: Illinois Private Investigator Salary Guide
7 Top Private Investigation Companies in Illinois
1. ICS World
Founded in 1967, ICS World maintains a high success rate in handling diverse cases such as child support, workman’s compensation, infidelity, background investigations, missing persons, and harassment.
2. On Q Professional Investigations
Established in 2011, On Q Professional Investigations specializes in criminal and civil cases, divorce cases, child custody and more. They are known for their comprehensive investigations, leveraging resources both nationally and internationally.
3. Verify Investigations
With roots going back to 1995, Verify Investigations handles various cases including process serving, GPS Tracking, Workers’ Compensation cases, missing persons, and more. Their specialization lies in Corporate and Domestic Investigations.
4. Chicagoland Detective Services
Chicagoland Detective Services, founded in 1993, excels in process serving, child custody, security, fingerprinting, and more.
5. Advantage Surveillance
Advantage Surveillance is the premier firm for insurance claims investigations. Trusted by top insurance groups in the U.S., their licensed investigators use advanced technologies and customized surveillance equipment to help clients uncover fraudulent claims.
6. Charles Taylor PI
Part of the globally recognized Charles Taylor Group, Charles Taylor PI offers private investigation services with a focus on insurance-related cases. With a long-standing history and international network, they provide a range of investigative services, from insurance fraud to personal claims investigations.
7. Covent Bridge
As a leading full-service investigation company, Covent Bridge offers surveillance, SIU and compliance, claims investigation, counter-fraud programs, desktop investigations, and process service to a wide range of clients globally. They are known for their use of cutting-edge technology in delivering excellent investigative results.
|Variety of cases including child support and infidelity
|On Q Professional Investigations
|Criminal and civil cases, divorce cases
|Corporate and domestic investigations
|Chicagoland Detective Services
|Process serving, child custody
|Insurance claims investigations
|Charles Taylor PI
|Surveillance, SIU and Compliance
Enhancing Your Prospects in the Private Investigation Field
Joining a Private Investigator Association can open up networking opportunities and potential job prospects. Continuing education is also crucial in this ever-evolving field. Online courses, such as those in background investigation, using social media in investigations, and cybercrime, can keep your skills sharp and current.
Enhancing Your Prospects in the Private Investigation Field
Whether you choose to work for one of the top private investigation companies in Illinois or strike out on your own, your skills and services are crucial in ensuring justice and resolving uncertainties.
Ready to take the next step towards becoming a private investigator in Illinois? The National Investigative Training Academy (NITA) is here to assist. We provide a range of comprehensive courses, from basic to advanced, tailored to the specific investigative subjects required in Illinois. Our Illinois Private Detective Licensing and PERC Training Course, a 20-hour program taught by industry experts, will thoroughly prepare you for a career in private investigation in the state.
You might also like: